- 1 Can (15 Oz.) Garbanzo Beans (do not drain)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Tahini (also known as sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 Cup Onion, chopped
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper, for taste
- Carefully drain the Garbanzo beans while saving the liquid in another container or cup.
- Combine the beans, lemon juice, Tahini, onion, garlic, canola oil, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt into a food processor or a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add in 1/4 Cup of liquid from the beans as needed to create a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving.
Dietitian's Tips: Veggies and hummus make a great snack! Try carrots, celery, slices of sweet peppers or even snap peas with the hummus. Also try using hummus as a spread on sandwiches and wraps for great flavor and great nutrition.
Recipe provided by Reach Up Head Start, Early Head Start. Get more recipes here.