Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
- 3/4 Cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 Cup Frozen Corn, thawed
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 4 Tbsp. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Tbsp. Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (optional)
- Clean all potatoes and poke holes throughout each of them with a fork. Place potatoes in a microwave safe dish and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Proceed to the next step to make the filling while potatoes are cooking. Once they are done, set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add oil and onion to a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cumin and chili pepper. Stir. Add beans, corn, and tomatoes and saute for another 2 minutes. Add in lime juice, cilantro, and cook for approximately 1 more minute.
- Remove the mixture from the skillet and pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out a small portion of the potato. (Don't worry, you'll eat this later!) This will make a small area for the filling.
- Add about 1/4 Cup. of the filling to each potato. Top with cheese, plain Greek Yogurt and cilantro if desired.
Recipe provided by Reach Up Head Start Early Head Start
Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a great way to introduce the kids to more vegetables by adding flavors they already love. Find more nutritious recipes on our Dietitian’s Corner page!
Shop from the comfort of your home! You can shop online at any of our proud family of stores for these recipe ingredients as well as the rest of your grocery list! We offer curbside pick up at all locations and delivery in select locations as well. Don’t forget to connect your MORE Rewards account when you shop online for extra savings, digital coupons, and many other rewards too!